CCR Rule Compliance Data and Information
Plant Barry is in southwest Alabama, about 25 miles north of Mobile. It has provided safe, reliable power to Alabama Power customers for more than 60 years. The employees at Plant Barry are committed to serving customers and protecting the environment, and the plant is an important part of the local economy. The company has invested more than $950 million in environmental controls at the plant, significantly reducing emissions.
Closing ash ponds safely and permanently
- The company is treating and removing all water from the pond.
- Material will be excavated and moved farther away from waterways, creating buffers of up to 750 yards from the Mobile River – a distance in some places longer than seven football fields.
- The size will be reduced by 200 acres, or by more than a third.
- Using advanced engineering, Alabama Power will construct a redundant dike system as part of the plant’s increased, robust flood-protection measures.
- The company will install a specially engineered, watertight barrier over the material to keep it safely in place.
- Storm water management systems will be added to capture all rainwater runoff.
- Alabama Power will monitor groundwater around the facility for at least 30 years to ensure ongoing protection of water quality.