CCR Rule Compliance Data and Information
Plant Greene County
Plant Greene County is in Greene County, about 10 miles north of Demopolis. It has provided safe, reliable power to Alabama Power customers for more than 50 years. The employees at Plant Greene County are committed to serving customers and protecting the environment, and the plant is an important part of the local economy.
Closing ash ponds safely and permanently
- The company is treating and removing all water from the pond.
- Material will be excavated and moved farther away from waterways, which creates buffers of up to 400 yards from the river – a distance as long as four football fields.
- The facility’s size will be reduced by 261 acres, or half its original size.
- Alabama Power is applying advanced engineering to construct a 2.5-mile wall around the facility to provide additional structural integrity and water quality protection. The wall will extend 30 feet below ground around the entire facility.
- The company is installing a specially engineered, watertight barrier over the material to keep it safely in place.
- Storm water management systems will be added to capture all rainwater runoff.
- Alabama Power will monitor groundwater around the facility for at least 30 years to ensure ongoing protection of water quality.