CCR Rule Compliance Data and Information
Plant Gaston is in Shelby County, near the town of Wilsonville. It has provided safe, reliable power to Alabama Power customers for more than 50 years. The employees at Plant Gaston are committed to serving customers and protecting the environment, and the plant is an important part of the local economy. The company has invested more than $1 billion in environmental controls at the plant, significantly reducing emissions.
Closing ash ponds safely and permanently
- The company is treating and removing all water from the pond.
- Material will be excavated and moved farther away from waterways, which creates buffers of up to 330 yards from the river – a distance longer than three football fields.
- The facility’s size will be reduced by approximately 75 acres, or by more than a fourth.
- Alabama Power is applying advanced engineering to construct a redundant dike system between the facility and the river as part of the plant’s increased, robust flood-protection measures.
- The company is installing a specially engineered barrier over the material to keep it safely in place.
- Storm water systems will be added to manage rainwater runoff.
- Alabama Power will monitor groundwater around the facility for at least 30 years to ensure ongoing protection of water quality.
Groundwater Monitoring & Corrective Action