CCR Rule Compliance Data and Information
Plant Gorgas is in Walker County, near the town of Parrish. It provided safe, reliable power to Alabama Power customers for more than a century. On Feb. 20, 2019, the company announced the closure of Plant Gorgas because of costly, federally driven environmental mandates related to the handling of coal ash and wastewater.
Closing ash ponds safely and permanently
- The company is treating and removing all water from the pond.
- Material will be excavated and moved farther away from waterways, creating a buffer in some areas nearly a half-mile wide.
- The facility’s size will be reduced by approximately 130 acres, or by nearly a third.
- Alabama Power is applying advanced engineering to construct a reinforced dike system between the facility and the river as part of the plant’s increased, robust flood-protection measures.
- A specially engineered drainage and collection system will be installed for additional long-term protection.
- The company is installing a specially engineered barrier over the material to keep it safely in place.
- Storm water systems will be added to mange rainwater runoff.
- Alabama Power will monitor groundwater around the facility for at least 30 years to ensure ongoing protection of water quality.