CCR Rule Compliance Data and Information
Plant Miller is in Jefferson County, near the town of West Jefferson. It has provided safe, reliable power to Alabama Power customers for 40 years. The employees at Plant Miller are committed to serving customers and protecting the environment, and the plant is an important part of the local economy. The company has invested more than $1.6 billion in environmental controls at the plant, significantly reducing emissions.
Closing ash ponds safely and permanently
- The company is treating and removing all water from the pond.
- Material will be excavated and moved farther away from waterways, which creates a buffer of up to 450 yards from the river – a distance longer than four football fields.
- The facility’s size will be reduced by approximately 125 acres, or by more than a third.
- Alabama Power is applying advanced engineering to construct a reinforced dike system to provide additional structural integrity.
- A specially engineered drainage and collection system will be installed for additional long-term protection.
- The company is installing a specially engineered barrier over the material to keep it safely in place.
- Storm water systems will be added to manage rainwater runoff.
- Alabama Power will monitor groundwater around the facility for at least 30 years to ensure ongoing protection of water quality.